2.16.2010

snow daze


The Diary of a Snow Day in Louisiana
First of all, if there is even the slightest chance of snow, call everyone you know and they will call everyone they know and schools will be cancelled, businesses will be closed, roads will be shut down, and everyone will be advised to stay home.  Keep in mind this will all occur BEFORE the first little fluffy white flake appears.  Yes...before!  Snow in Louisiana is almost as big of a celebration as Mardi Gras.  And this Yankee girl thinks it's hilarious!  Schools were closed in my hometown only if snow drifts were higher than your car and you had to shovel your way out of your house.  

I will admit, though, it is fun to see snow in this cajun country.  My kids were ecstatic (never mind Boston's initial expression in the picture above)!  It snowed for about two and half hours and although the snow melted once it reached the ground, the biggest, fluffiest flakes swirled around us and made us feel like it really was winter.   We threw soggy "slush"balls at each other and caught snowflakes on our tongues.  We stomped around in our rain boots and eskimo hats.  And then it stopped as suddenly as it came.  The stubborn southern sun bumped the snow clouds out of the way and it looked as though it had never happened.  Just another snow day!  (And only one of my children would stand still enough for pictures).  But oh, how his expressions melt me.  





This fleeting winter snow reminded me of the first snow in 60 years that southern Louisiana was blanketed by in December of last year.  It snowed several inches and Thaddeus had a blast!  His daddy pulled him around the neighborhood on a makeshift winter sled, they made snowmen and had snowball wars.  He wore a scarf and gloves for the first time.  It was pure joy.


So, what do you do after it snows in Louisiana?  You peel off your jacket and your gloves, eat a hot bowl of gumbo, and relax....because everything is closed, after all. 

17 comments:

Natalie said...

Reminds me of the only "snow" we had when I lived in Alabama as a kid. We were in the car on the way home when the white flurries started falling. My mom pulled into a gas station. The attendant (remember when someone used to pump your gas for you!?) came out and said, "are you crazy lady? It's a blizzard out here!" Hilarious!

PaisleyJade said...

oh dear - I wish we had snow here... even in the middle of winter it never ever snows... sigh.

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Oh my goodness... that is too funny! I can't believe everything closes down like that! People there would go crazy to have a winter like we have had this year in Nebraska. :) But it sure made for a sweet day with your kiddos! Adorable pictures!!

Mikalah said...

We got 18 inches of snow recently and I still had to go to work! Maybe I need to move to Louisiana. =)

Unknown said...

Hasn't the snow been so fun? :-) I love it!

Charity said...

Sounds like what happens here in GA. I love it though, The excuse to stay home with no one expecting us to be anywhere. We huddled in and enjoyed uninterupted family time, so wonderful. How are you doing, still feeling okay, not tipping forward from baby yet?

Cha Cha

Carrie said...

So cute! I'm surprised we've had so many cancellations here...snow is nothing new, but alot of people live in rural areas and can't get out. We've had MUCH more than in recent past, though...but I'm loving it...although Spring can't come soon enough! Love those pics! So glad everyone enjoyed the fluffy snow flakes!

Lindy said...

It snowed here in Georgia as well! I had no idea you lived in Louisiana; I was raised there! I still have family in Prarieville and LaPlace. Do you like living there? Sometimes I get really homesick. My sister and I went to visit our parents at Christmas and I was amazed by how much Baton Rouge has grown!

Lynda @ SportsMadGirl said...

Same thing happens here in GA/Atlanta. Not only does the city seem to shut down but everybody runs to the grocery store to buy bread and milk (it will sell out FAST!). What I don't understand is why people seem to ONLY buy bread and milk? What about real food?? Never have understood that.

Penny said...

Lol!! I just realized you were from Hammond! I was there Thursday through Saturday and watched it snow. I'm from Ruston, a few hours north, and they said we got 6 inches. I was so sad I didn't get to see my house decorated with six inches of snow!!

Tracy said...

And...if you go to the grocery store all the meat and chips are gone. That always amazed when I lived in Memphis.

Love the snowy adventures. We never have that so it is so fun to peak in.

The Rigelsky Family said...

CU-TI-PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rigelsky Family said...

CU-TI-PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mich said...

Love these pictures! Too precious!

I always leave here with a smile when I stop to say hello. I'm passing on an award your way to say "thanks."

Kristin said...

I can totally relate......that's how it is here in TX too! It snowed at the beginning of December, which was a miracle, but we haven't gotten any of this snow recently that everyone else has gotten. Gumbo sounds really good!!

christy rose said...

Aww! So much fun though! Enjoy it! It might not happen again while your kids are still little. :)

Mrs. B said...

i want to be your neighbor! seriously. i could totally stand to be graced with a few flakes rather than months and months of constant dumpings...but it *does* make for some cute pictures. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape