7.16.2009

The Meaning of a Name


There is a beautiful ministry to grieving mothers.  One where we can walk together, hold each other up, and rejoice over the gift of our children, however short their lives may have been. Today at Walking With You we are sharing the story behind our heavenly children's names.  Names have always been important to me.  Maybe because they have always been important to God.  I love reading about the names God gives many of his servants in the Bible and the deep meaning behind them.  There is so much in a name.

I remember early in my second pregnancy, I felt drawn to one particular name.  I didn't even know the gender of my baby yet, but the name Titus just seemed to fit.  Joel loved the name, too, and it was then I sensed we would be having a boy.  The fifth month came and a regular doctor's visit revealed that Titus' heart had stopped beating.  Everything after that happened in a dark, intense fog of grief.  You can read more about it here.  There was a ray of light, though, and it was in my son's name.  While in the hospital a new name kept coming to me.  I felt that God wanted me to name my son Zaccheus Titus.  I would find out later how important that name would be to me in the days ahead.

When I came home from the hospital, I looked up the meaning of Zaccheus Titus.  In Hebrew Zaccheus litterally means "the Lord recalled".  Titus is a title of honor.  It was when I read these meanings that my heart felt hope.  My little Zaccheus Titus had been named by his Lord.  His life mattered, had purpose, and was received with joy by his Creator and Father.  

The second meaning of the name Zaccheus spoke to me the most.  Zaccheus commonly means "pure, clean, bright, and just".  God was healing my memories.   For when I held my son in the hospital, he was not clean or bright.  His heart had stopped beating several weeks before and his tiny body was discolored and gray.  My heart was broken when I saw my son for the first time. But my God has bathed my little boy in the light of His love.  His cold little body is now glowing with the warmth of the arms that cradle him forever.  One day I will see him as he was created to be, as his name describes, pure, clean, bright, and honorable.

Thank you, God, for loving and naming your children.
"But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine."
Isaiah 43: 1

24 comments:

Jayme said...

Great post.

I did some catching-up on your other posts and I just am SO happy for you! HUGE CONGRATS! Really cool.

Can't wait to read more of your wonderfully-inspired posts. You are very gifted and I and am so glad to know you.

Congrats again, and blessings to you and your family!

christy rose said...

Names are obviously important to God! I love your name for your little boy. I am so excited to hear the new name for the new little one that God has blessed you with!

Kristin said...

That is a beautiful name Joye and I love how God placed it in your heart because He knew what special meaning it had.

Lisa said...

That is beautiful, what a blessed little boy!

BeLoVed AiMeE said...

when I read the meaning of the name Zaccheus Titus it brought me to tears. How perfect is our God. <3

Erica said...

what a beautiful name with an even more beautiful meaning. i cannot even imagine what it would be like to lose a child but i'm so glad the Lord has brought you through so much healing!

Dana said...

This is a beautiful story! I love the meaning behind Zaccheus and the ways that God moves in our hearts and minds.

God Bless!
Dana

Together We Save said...

This was an amazing post. I enjoyed reading your blog and looking at all your pictures.

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Joye...thanks so much for joining us on Walking With You this week. I love the story of your sweet Zaccheus Titus...and the way the Lord whispered His name to your heart. His life did and does matter. Our God is so loving and full of grace...every life matters to Him...as you well know. I love the verse you shared as well...one of my favorites. Names do matter to God...He has called us by name...we are His. And, so is your sweet Titus.

Much Love,
Kelly

Tara said...

Thank you so much for sharing the name and story of your son. One day there will be a joyous reunion and you will both know each other.

Holly said...

A beautiful meaning behind the name of your precious boy! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Mich said...

I love how God named a precious little boy, in such a way to leave his sad mommy with a blessing.

I really liked this post.

Jennifer Ross said...

Zaccheus Titus... what a strong name! The meaning behind it is so cool. I love how you put his name together!

Much Love,
Jenny

Adeye said...

I have tears. The way God names our children is just amazing to me....how He speaks so clearly to our hearts the name that HE chose for them, before the foundation of the universe, leaves me speechless.

Thank you so much for sharing your heart--it touched me deeply tonight, friend.

really.truly said...

Wow,that is touching and lovely. Thank you for sharing about your son and his name. And I ditto what Tara wrote about the "joyous reunion"

He & Me + 3 said...

How beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Shannon said...

The significance of little Zaccheus Titus' name brought me to tears. Thank you for sharing.

Lauren said...

I love this Joye! Thank you so much for always being open and sharing your heart ... like this post today. I love you for it! I missed this at Walking With You. Our sons are Asher and Cyrus ... much too long a story to tell now, but the names were absolutely given to us by God!

Miss Charlene said...

Aw, that touched my heart. Thank you for sharing. Not a lot of women do, I don't know why. Zaccheus Titus is a beautiful name. I didn't make it that far, but I named the one I lost Briar Rachel. I felt strongly it was a girl. They're with the Lord, and that's a far better place than this world.

~*Michelle*~ said...

beautiful.

I really needed to read this today. Last month, again,....I conceived only to have this angel join my band of angels who are sitting at Jesus's feet.

Thank you for your comforting words....

Kat said...

I am so sorry for your loss...but grateful that you know the God who can give you comfort in it. Thank you for being willing to open your wounds and share your pain to bring a blessing to the rest of us.

Kat

Julianne said...

I just can't tell you in words what a testimony you are to all of us women. Even as a Christian I don't know if I would have the peace you show, and that is such a testimony of your love for the Lord, your faith and trust in Him.
Thank you for sharing,
Julianne :)

Kat said...

God has always named his people by what he has hoped we will live up to. In naming our children we have tried to do the same.

I wanted to tell you that I am nominating you for the creative blogger award...well, because your writing is beautiful.

Stop by my blog to check it out.

Kristen, pajama mama said...

Wow, Joye. How beautiful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape